What is an HR Generalist?
An HR generalist is a key Human Resource staff member within an organization who is responsible for the efficient management of the day-to-day HR processes operations. An HR generalist handles a broad line of responsibilities, unlike a single line of work, which cover most of the HR functions and processes which include hiring, compensation, leaves, benefits, onboarding and offboarding, and other tasks. Some organization give the title of an HR generalist to a person who is responsible for all core people-related processes and functions within the organization.
An HR generalist is mainly involved with the following responsibilities:
- Handling recruitment and staffing logistics.
- Personal and professional development of the workforce including providing. learning and training opportunities.
- Management of employee welfare and health counselling.
- HR policy development, documentation and compliance.
- Corporate mission and vision.
- Corporate performance management.
- Employee engagement and communication practices and initiatives.
An HR generalist generally should have a penchant for planning things and must be good at modifying existing systems and developing new ones, must be attentive to details and is genuinely interested in the workforce that make up the organization. Skills of an HR generalist are highly valued and sought after, and provide many opportunities for further career growth.