ENHANCED DBS CHECKS
What is an Enhanced Disclosure?
An Enhanced Disclosure check details all criminal history: cautions, warnings, reprimands, spent and unspent convictions held on the Police National Computer (PNC), with the exception of the DBS filtering rule.
It also checks against the DBS Children and Adult barred list (where appropriate) and information provided by local police forces. This type of disclosure can only be applied for by an organisation/employer.
Why do I need an enhanced disclosure check?
You may need an enhanced DBS check if your employer needs a level of assurance, you are suitable for a certain job. This might include jobs like accountants, legal assistants, those working with children, NHS or vulnerable adults.
How long it takes to request an enhanced DBS?
It usually takes around 8 weeks but it can take longer if:
- the details given for the check are incorrect
- several police forces need to be involved in the check
You cannot pay more to get a faster check.
How to do an enhanced check
- Your employer should ask you to complete the online application form.
- The applicant will complete the form and upload documents proving their identity.
- Send the completed application form to DBS or Complygate.
- DBS will send a certificate to the applicant. You must ask the applicant to show you the certificate so you can check it’s genuine.