Definition of an employee
- Employees are people who work for someone under an employment contract.
- Someone may be an employee in employment law, however, they can have different tax purposes.
- It is the employer's responsibility to make sure that they work out every worker’s status in both tax law and employment law.
Employees have additional employee rights and responsibilities, these rights do not apply to workers who are not employees. This includes:
- Emergence time off
- Statutory sick pay
- Rights to request flexible working
- Statutory Redundancy Pay
- Paternity, statutory maternity, adoption and shared parental leave and pay.
- If there has been unfair dismissal protection to be put into place.