What is discrimination?
- Discrimination is the prejudicial or unfair treatment of people and different groups of people based on characteristics, like age, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
It is illegal to discriminate against a person, the reasons are any of the following:
- Sexual orientation
- Religion or belief
- Being married or in a civil partnership
- Being pregnant or on a maternity leave
Legally you are protected from discrimination by the Equality Act.
Protected from discrimination:
- In education
- At work
- Using public services
- As a consumer
- Buying or renting a property
- A guest or as a member of an association or a private club.