What is a disciplinary procedure?
- A disciplinary procedure is a proper way for employees to make a deal with employees, for example, improper behaviour like misconduct or it is unacceptable in a workplace and performance like their capability.
- The employer should ensure that the problem can be solved in an informal way first before starting a disciplinary procedure. This is because an informal way is most likely to be the quickest way to solve the problem and the easiest.
Ways that an employer could try to solve a problem with their employees is by:
- Having a private discussion with them and with any staff that may be involved.
- Ensuring that you have listened to their side of the story and views.
- Improvements to be made that are agreed upon between you, the employer and the employees.
- If it’s a performance problem, ensure that you have set up a training or a development plan.