What is mentoring?
- Mentoring is a way for a senior manager or someone successful in an industry to give away some of the things they have learnt to get to the position they are in.
- Mentoring is mostly a voluntary method of sharing information or teaching someone.
- In some companies they will ensure to match mentors with learners through a formal mentoring programme.
- Where in a coaching relationship it is usually paid and hired, a mentoring relationship is normally unpaid.
Role of mentors:
- Teach - Sharing their experiences with others.
- Encourage and motivate - They can do this by sharing what motivated them.
- Manage the relationship
- Meeting the learners needs by responding to them