What is a Learning Management System (LMS)?
A Learning Management System (LMS) is a holistic, all-purpose, complete software solution for planning, execution, documentation, tracking, and reporting of knowledge or skill-based courses and training programs. Contemporary views emphasize the opinion that an LMS must be capable of providing ubiquitous learning solutions for a diverse workforce, much of which is spread out and operating remotely. LMS must also provide constant adjustments and upgradations to its regular offerings to adapt to and keep up with the changing requirements of constantly evolving global markets and business ecosystems.
Key functionalities of an LMS are:
- Learner-centric learning technology, unlike conventional learning systems wherein learning curricula, and not learners themselves, were the foci of learning programs.
- Integrable systems which can easily integrate into other HR systems.
- Customizable content and curriculum.
- Authentication-enabled platform to maintain a secure database and keep any unauthorised access at bay.
- Mobile-pro systems to facilitate learning even while on the move.