Definition of Chief executive officer (CEO)
A chief executive officer (CEO) corporations a top-ranking executive whose major duties involve:
- making significant business decisions,
- they monitor a corporation’s resources and activities altogether,
- participating as the key point of communication between the board of directors (the board) and corporate operations, and
- being the corporation’s public face.
The shareholder and the board vote CEO.
Depending on the size of the company a chief executive’s role varies.
- In a large corporation, a chief executive will only make high- level decisions focusing on the growth of the business.
- Whereas, in a small business a chief executive will not only be making the decisions for major stuff but also be hands-on with day to day activities.