Skilled Worker Visa - Application Process and Eligibility
In December 2020, the new Skilled Worker Visa replaced the Tier 2 (General) Visa. For eligibility, a job must be offered to the applicant in which the company has a sponsorship licence and in a UK company. The company must also have at least 70 points on the points-based system.
How to know if you are eligible for a Skilled Worker Visa?
If the following guidelines are appliable to you and your application is successful you can then stay within the UK for up to five years under the immigration permission.
Main eligibility guidelines for a Skilled Worker Visa are the following:
- A UK employer must have offered the job and hold a sponsorship licence.
- An appropriate skill level and a ‘genuine vacancy’ must be offered as a job.
- The employer must have given you a certificate of sponsorship, this will include detailed information about the job position that is being offered within the UK.
- The salary requirements differ depending on the job position, however, the job offered must meet a specific minimum salary.
- You must prove that you have at least the Level B1 on English language. This is set by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- You must be able to support yourself during your time in the UK, therefore, you must have enough money for that. (Documentation must be provided to prove that you can support yourself).
- If applicable you must provide a criminal record and a valid TB certificate.
What are the requirements for a Skilled Worker Visa sponsor/employer?
For you to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, your employer (Sponsor) must give you a Certificate of Sponsorship. The employer may only give you a certificate of sponsorship if they have a Sponsorship Licence. There will be no more than three months before your Skilled Worker Visa for application data certificate of sponsorship is issued.
The employer must pay the Immigration Skills Charge too, to allow them to sponsor you.
- There is a requirement for smaller businesses or charitable organisations to pay the Fee of £364 for any time of 12 months of employment. And for each subsequent of 6-month time, pay £182.
- For any time of employment up to 12 months, other businesses and organisations must pay £1,000, as well as for each subsequent 6 months period pay £500.
There is no need for employers to undertake the Resident Labour Market Test, this is when the employer wants to recruit an oversees national. Whereas the Tier 2 (General) Visa you do not.
What are the job requirements for a Skilled Worker Visa?
It is key for you to meet the specific requirements of the job position that you will be working at.
The job position that you will be working for must be at least at RQF Level, this is approximately equivalent to A-Levels, in most situations. There will be no need to keeping hold of a formal qualification and the skill level is determined by the job itself.
There is an occupation code for each eligible job position for the Skilled Worker route and it is key for your employer to choose an appropriate code of occupation for your job position.
Part of the application process will consist on convincing the Home Office, in which you will be sponsored to take on an actual vacancy, and the capability of attaining the job role.
Being on the shortage occupation list is not a requirement for the job role. Even so, the minimum salary starting point is decreased if the job role that will be going on the filled is within the shortage occupation list.